Because we spend so much time in our front lawn, the neighbors are beginning to get used to seeing us out there. Just before Labor Day weekend, a man in his 70's from across the street walked over & introduced himself. His name is Arnie, and he lives in the blue house.
I have kept my eye on this particular blue house my entire life, because it's right across from the church I grew up attending and because Mom told us she grew up in that house. So when Arnie came over & told us he lived in the blue house, I immediately said - "my Mom grew up in that house!" Arnie remembered my Grandparent, because he bought the house from them and has lived in it since the year my Mom was 16.
He was curious if we were the new pastor or just staying at the parsonage here, he met our kids, we chatted about houses & the neighborhood & family. He mentioned that they were going to be out backpacking for a few weeks - and I immediately asked if they had a house sitter. They have a daughter who would be stopping by to check on things & mow the lawn, but would we be willing to water the plants & lawn? Sure! I volunteered Adam to do it even before Arnie offered to pay.
So we keep our eye on the house, snag fliers & newspapers & "hide" them in the back of the house instead of leaving them on the front porch, and water every few days depending on the weather. And we wonder about the house.
When I told Mom about it, she was immediately curious to see if she could walk through their house to see what was different. We'll see. But in the meantime, Simon is a great helper as we water Arnie's flowers.
He was curious if we were the new pastor or just staying at the parsonage here, he met our kids, we chatted about houses & the neighborhood & family. He mentioned that they were going to be out backpacking for a few weeks - and I immediately asked if they had a house sitter. They have a daughter who would be stopping by to check on things & mow the lawn, but would we be willing to water the plants & lawn? Sure! I volunteered Adam to do it even before Arnie offered to pay.
So we keep our eye on the house, snag fliers & newspapers & "hide" them in the back of the house instead of leaving them on the front porch, and water every few days depending on the weather. And we wonder about the house.
When I told Mom about it, she was immediately curious to see if she could walk through their house to see what was different. We'll see. But in the meantime, Simon is a great helper as we water Arnie's flowers.
"Oh this water is heavy!"

No comments:
Post a Comment