Smirk
Today we went to Target with Mom (Grandma Lizzy) to help her do a few errands. I also got some contact solution and a candle, and Simon got Chick Hick ("The Runner Up" on the movie "Cars"). It is another gray, rainy day here in Grand Rapids, and already I'm wondering if I'll make it through the winter after living in sunny Silver City. I'm not used to this rain that just goes on & on...all day long.
I don't think I mentioned it on a previous post, but Mom got her cast off on Monday. Whoo! We were in the market for some good news, so her increasing mobility & healing is definitely in the "good news" category. She's still wearing the little Velcro shoe to keep the foot stabilized as it continues to heal, but at least things are going in the right direction.
A few other updates...I decided to try out for the Calvin College Oratorio Society again. When I was in college I sang in Oratorio every year - in December we perform Handel's "Messiah" and in the spring we do a different piece each year. If I remember correctly, I was in Oratorio the two years post-graduating, pre-moving to Silver City also. I missed it a lot while we were in Silver City, although I did find a great group to join there - the Community Chamber Singers. But Christmas just isn't Christmas for me without singing the Messiah now. I tried out on Wednesday night and received word early on Thursday afternoon that my audition was successful. Rehearsals start Monday night and I am so looking forward to having my choir routine again.
Also, I'm so disoriented about days of the week now that Adam's off working every day (did I mention that before?) and just home with kids who don't know the difference between Monday & Friday & all the days between, that it completely slipped my attention that yesterday was 9/11. I know that as time passes we as a country get less insistent about acknowledging the tragic anniversary that it is, but it's another anniversary in our family. Two years ago yesterday my beloved Grandma Hermine Engelhard passed away. I remember her birthday without fail every summer, but the death anniversary date isn't something I'm used to yet. But we think of you often, Grandma E, and love you just as much as we ever did. Wish you could see your Lange great-grandsons now!

1 comment:
I always remember Grandma E's passing date...I usually cry if I let myself think about it too much. We loved her a lot, we did. Still do.
Post a Comment