Monday, November 10, 2008

That Tingling Sensation...Democracy!

I'm not new to civic duty. I'm not yet 30, so I haven't been around & involved for decades like some people, but I've been passionately involved since 2001 when I served my first (of 3) years with AmeriCorps National Service. I've been involved with several local elections as well as national action. I went to W's ranch in Crawford, TX with Michigan Organizing Project (MOP) and to Washington D.C. twice with National People's Action (NPA). I've been part of a crowd of several thousand people protesting and I've been a quietly involved individual. I've met and worked with local politicians in Grand Rapids and in 6 counties in New Mexico. I've also voted several times in local elections (even for things like school board - I exercise my democratic right any time there's something to vote on), but I've never felt goosebumps like this. This moment was, hands-down, the most goosebump-inducing political moment of my (albeit not-too-long) political "career" of civic involvement:
Back home with my boys after the big outing. Simon got a sticker too. You're never too young to start the flicker of civic involvement.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: